Screen Recording, GIF-making, and Microsoft PowerPoint (more powerful than you think)

This week we were fortunate enough to be visited by Rich McCue, Manager of UVic’s Digital Scholarship Commons.

We were treated to a workshop on video editing and screencasting. I spent most of my time looking at screencasting, as I had spent time over the last few weeks learning about iMovie for another project in EDCI 352. In this class, I used a screencast platform that was new to me: Screencastify. This is a very accessible tool for anyone who is interested. Plus, the DSC has a useful tutorial available as well!

Screencasting is not new to me, but I was definitely inspired to think about more ways to incorporate this into my teaching, as I hadn’t spent any time considering that as an option before.

(I also learned how to make a GIF!) (I was excited, though there is a distinct possibility that I am well behind the curve on this)

While I enjoyed the opportunity to learn about and use a new platform, I did think about how I’ve been able to record my screen for videos in the past using Powerpoint. Learn how to record your screen on Powerpoint here:

You can also see an example of an old video I made on powerpoint here:

We’ve talked about Powerpoint as a tool for more than just creating slide decks (stay tuned for a part 2 to this blog topic). Although there are so many options out there for things like screen recording, accessibility of technology is really important to me, especially when it comes to “levelling the playing field” in the classroom. While many of the screen recording technologies available are free and easy to use and access, this activity inspired me to consider utilizing widely available tools that many students are already comfortable and familiar with to create more kinds of products.